Silk Cotton Grainline Archer

 


Over the years, I have tried a lot of shirt patterns but I keep coming back to Grainline Archer.  It suits all of my needs.  It is a traditionally cut shirt but not oversized and can be hacked quite easily.  It suits heavier fabrics but also light weight floaty fabrics such as this Silk Cotton that I bought recently from Drapers Fabrics.  I already had a striped shirt in my wardrobe but it was made of a crisper cotton and was a tad tight.  I just found it a bit too formal and masculine for my liking so it just didn't get worn. It will probably get moved on which is a shame because the fabric is beautiful quality.  When I found the silk cotton on clearance, I had to buy it.  I think silk cotton is my favourite fabric.  It is soft and floaty but cool to wear and despite being silk, quite easy to care for and requires little ironing so always looks put together.


Because I have made the Archer pattern before so many times, it was relatively quick to make up and required no fitting.  I did find that my commercial overlocker made the fabric pull, so I chose to flat fell all the seams, avoiding any overlocked seam finishes at all.  It took a little longer to construct this way but will mean my shirt seams are more durable and the finish just makes me happy when I look at it.




Will this shirt get worn more than its predecessor?  Well it has already had a couple of  outings, so yes.  It is such a useful style and stripes go with anything so hopefully this one will be in my wardrobe for many years to come.



Comments

  1. looks great, a striped shirt always looks so sharp. And I agree, silk/cotton blend is fantastic for shirts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I think that is why I was so keen to replace the now too small version.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts