The Sewing Revival Heron Top



 I am not sure how I came across The Sewing Revival but I suspect one of their patterns popped up on my news feed on IG.  A little bit of research later and I was determined to make one, if not all of their patterns.  I think what appeals to me about their styles is that being a New Zealand pattern designer, the styles fit very well into New Zealand's relaxed lifestyle.  I am all for that and also all for supporting local businesses so buying from there was an easy sell.  Making a pattern from an unknown designer is more of a leap of faith though!  For my first foray into The Sewing Revival patterns, I chose the Heron Dress or in my case the top.  These patterns are sold as separate patterns but I fully intended to make the dress so purchased the dress rather than the top pattern.
















As luck would have it, I had just taken ownership of some lovely rayon sourced from  Annah Stretton Fabrics.   It was a relatively inexpensive but also pretty fabric so perfect to trial a new pattern.  


I cut my pattern to size medium as per my measurements but I really could have made a small because it is quite a generous cut. I initially intended to add elastic to my neck but opted for a drawstring at the last minute and I am pleased I did.  I like to wear it tied in a loose knot.  I think the drawstring helps the neckline stay in place and  with the elastic it may just flap around.  I really like the elastic in the sleeves and the deep ruffle effect it gives the sleeve.  I thought I may find the wide elastic a little restrictive but I cut it  on the looser side so it just sits against my arm and doesn't constrict it at all.


I was in the supermarket after work one day, perusing the aisles while pondering what I was going to cook for dinner when a lady who was standing beside me admired my new top.  I love it when complete strangers give unsolicited compliments on the clothes I make!  I guess I am not the only one who thinks this top is a winner!

Comments

Popular Posts