New Underwear

A month ago, I spent some time in hospital and when I was sent home, I decided that underwire bras were the most uncomfortable item of clothing known to man for lounging around the house.  I wasn't up to shopping at the time, but what I could do, was pop a cutting mat on my ironing board at a height that meant I wasn't bending and cut out small projects.  Necessity was very much the mother of invention at this point!

Cloth Habit's Watson Bra has been in my pattern collection for quite a few years now and although I have made the briefs, I had never before made the bra, until now.  I had a bit of a rifle round in my stash and as luck would have it, I had everything I needed to make one.  I couldn't however make a bra without matching undies so dug out my trusty Megan Neilsen Acacia Undies Pattern which, for those that are unaware, is a free pattern and set to work.



Without the foam, channeling and wires of a regular bra, the Watson Bra is quite quick to make up.  The fabric that I chose for the body of both the bra and undies, is a polyester textured knit fabric that was kindly donated to me by Minerva in exchange for a blog post.  The fabric has the most beautiful floral print and heft wise falls somewhere between a heavy weight lycra and a scuba.  It has good recovery so was the perfect weight for what I envisaged.  I didn't add any lining to the cups of my bra because I felt it wasn't necessary but did add power net to the cradle of the bra and the back pieces.  To finish it off I added a little ribbon flower.



For the Acacia Undies, I used a piece of mystery black synthetic stretch knit for the back and the floral textured knit for the front only. I harvested a piece of cotton knit from an unloved tee for the crotch lining and all the elastic was from my stash.

I am really pleased with how these turned out.  They are a really pretty addition to the underwear drawer and certainly lived up to the comfort promise during my surgery recovery.  I will definitely be making this pattern up again.






Comments

  1. that looks great and comfy. Every time I see this pattern sewn up I am tempted to try it, despite my pledge for not sewing underwear, pjs or swimwear :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts