In the Pink


I find Instagram a terrible enabler when it comes to Fabric purchases and this has been to my detriment in the past.  If there is any good come out of COVID, I think it has been people re thinking their consumption and this has definitely been reflected in my feed of late.  I have seen a lot more dressing for the life you live and I have also been doing a lot more of this.  Since March, when COVID began to be part of our daily conversations and lives, I have been more single minded about using my stash and making what I wear.  That is not to say I haven't been influenced there has just been less of it.

One of my current influences has come in the form of lovely floaty puff sleeve blouses with ruffles.  Now there has been a pattern doing the rounds lately that I very nearly purchased until I realised that I have a very similar pattern in my stash and this pattern is one that I have made several times before and loved.  I dug the pattern out and realised that it contained a long sleeved version that I had made a mental note of wanting to try probably about 5 years ago now.

Also in my stash was this lovely rayon that I bought at Lincraft several years ago in a fabric haul after deciding I really wanted to wear all the boho blouses all the time!  This piece is what was left and a piece I loved but had no idea what to do with.  I did think I wanted to make it into a Tessuti Hillary Top but after trying a wearable muslin, I realised that this pattern just didn't sit right on my body.  The muslin turned out anything but wearable so ended up in the scrap bin.

The fabric is perfect though for New Look 6871.  I decided for this version, not only did I want to make the full sleeves, I wanted to raise the neckline but not so much that it needed a closure.  My recent, Merchant and Mills Camber Dress had the perfect neckline for this so I simply used this for my neckline and cut the rest of the top as per the instructions.

Because my rayon is slightly sheer, I used my trusty white poplin from my stash for the yoke lining. I then inserted a ruffle between the yoke and yoke lining using the Burrito method and used a self bias to finish the neckline.  The sleeves were finished with a simple casing with elastic threaded through.

I am so pleased with how this top worked out.  It has become my new favourite.  I am glad I waited so long to make this fabric up.


  1. that is really pretty. I like it with the ankle length trousers. And New Look patterns are great, They are underrated I think, as they most often have multiple garments in one pattern. and cute styles.

    1. Thank you! I should look at the Big 4 patterns more often because there are often hidden gems there.


Post a Comment

Popular Posts