New Look 6346 in Linen



In the depths of winter it isn't easy  to plan for summer weather but that is exactly what I have done with my latest Minerva sponsored fabric.  This lovely linen viscose blend fabric was gifted to me in exchange for a blog post.  My thought process with this fabric was that linen is a fabric that I normally associate with summer but in this colourway it really lends itself to winter wear as well.  I had thought I might make a dress but I am really trying to make things at the moment that get worn a lot and dresses just don't fit that category in either winter or summer.  A skirt was the obvious choice.



Last winter I made New Look 6346 in wool crepe.  Although the skirt hasn't been worn a lot, it is a style I really like and one I was keen to try in a lighter fabric.   Because this linen is a large scale print, I thought it would work well in this style.  I did briefly consider making View D, which has no front opening but I really like the front button opening so ended up just making a direct copy of the first version.




I went down a size from my wool version because I have lost a small amount of weight and also because I made the last one a size too big and needed to run it in anyway.  I finished the hem with bias tape which I sourced from one of my husbands old shirts.  The buttons I found in my stash and I am really happy with how well they match.





I am really pleased with this skirt.  I will probably wear it more in the spring with a tee and sneakers but for now, I quite like it with tights and boots.



To go with my new skirt I made up another version of Jalie 3352 from some navy merino I bought from a local manufacturer.  I have made this pattern so many times now, I actually remember the pattern number.  I  permanently altered the pattern to include the higher neckline that I prefer.  

The entire top was completed on my overlocker with the hems on my coverstitch.  I just used my regular machine to topstitch the neck down.


So, I was dressed in my new skirt and top this morning and ready to take my phone and tripod into the yard to get some photographs for this blog post.  The skirt has been draped over a chair, reminding me that this needs doing for a few weeks now, but the timing just has never been right.  Today, like the last few, has been grey and dull and really not at all conducive to photo taking but when  a job needs doing, it needs doing!  My daughter who takes most of my photographs must have sensed my intentions because she quite spontaneously turned up this morning and suggested we walk the dog around the park.  So here I am standing by a pond which had the most lovely reflective nature until a spoodle decided to take a swim and stir it into a silty quagmire.  They do say, never work with children and animals!

Comments

Popular Posts