Mammoth Flannel Granville Shirt


 I have been drawn to Robert Kaufman Mammoth Flannel for a few years now and have seen a few cosy looking projects pop up on the net.  When Minerva had some available as part of their ambassador program I was quick to put my hand up.  Plaid has been having a moment lately and I was quite keen on a shacket made in plaid.  I am not convinced however that a plaid shacket is going to be a long term fashion item so I decided to make a plaid shirt.



When the fabric arrived and I had washed it ready for use, I realised that it was actually quite heavy and different to any flannel I had worked with before. It has a slightly brushed texture but not brushed like a pyjama flannel.  I decided that a semi fitted shirt was going to work best for this fabric.



I  made Sewaholic Granville some years back so I printed this pattern out and taped it together.  In the past I had made the back in one piece and sewn darts for shape.  The pattern is designed to have a panelled back.  I decided the one piece darted back would make it easier for pattern matching so decided to do this again.  I spent quite a bit of time planning my plaid matching and for the most part, I have done well.  I took my time making the shirt and flat felled all of the seams.

The fabric is not very wide and this combined with the pattern matching meant my shirt took over two metres of fabric.  I had hoped to make two shirts out of my three metres but this just didn't work out unfortunately so I am left with nearly one metre.  I could have perhaps made it work had I not decided to cut my front, sleeve plackets and pocket on the bias.  This was a bit of a fabric hog and certainly didn't help my cause.  I really don't like too many remnants in my stash so perhaps what is left could become pyjama shorts for spring.




I found some small wooden buttons in my stash that proved to be the perfect match in both size and colour.  I finished my shirt by stitching these on with some coordinating blue/green thread.




I am really pleased with how the shirt turned out.  The fabric was lovely to work with and the shirt is as lovely to wear.  Worn with a merino polo neck underneath it was the perfect warm combination for the cold days on my recent holiday in Queenstown.



Comments

  1. Love this! Perfect pattern matching, too. And you always seem to have the most scenic backdrops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You can't really beat Queenstown as a backdrop.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts