Two Piece Set for Spring


 Last year I made a two piece set for spring.  It turned out to be as versatile as I had hoped.  The skirt didn't really see much wear but the top was worn with jeans quite regularly.  I find I tend to reach for separates far more than dresses so thought I would use the same recipe for this spring.

My latest set began with a lovely piece of Viscose Challis fabric that I was gifted at the end of autumn from Minerva as part of their ambassador program.  It is quite difficult to decide what to make when lovely floaty spring fabric arrives in the depth of winter.  This fabric had the most gorgeous cherry blossom print so it really lent itself to something spring like but at the same time able to transition from winter.



I chose Love Notions Rhapsody Blouse as the pattern for my top because this is up there as one of my all time favourite patterns.  This top is version number four.  Although it comes with several different sleeve options, each of mine have been made with the three quarter sleeve option because I find this the most versatile both for warmth in the early spring and also as sun coverage in the summer.  I won't go into any more detail about this top because I have made it three times before except to say I love the way it turned out.



The skirt options took a little more thought.  I did briefly think about purchasing a new pattern but had in my mind a boho style skirt with an elastic waistband.  I knew such a pattern would be a relatively simple draft so this is exactly what I decided to do.  From a straight skirt block, I drafted an Aline skirt and then laid it on my fabric so that my waist was slightly larger than the width of my hips to enable it to be pulled on.  I then cut an additional two tiers of equal length and each being 1.5 times the width of the seam it was to be attached to.  I simply stitched it into a cylindrical shape and ran two rows of gathering stitch around the top.  I always use two rows because it makes for a neater and more even finish.  I then joined all three pieces together before adding a waistband wide enough to thread elastic through. I ran two rows of topstitching around the waistband and finally hemmed my skirt.


I am really happy with how the two piece worked out.  It matches really nicely with my wool Stacker Jacket for early spring but also matches nicely with so many other items in my wardrobe.

Comments

  1. so pretty and great idea to make separates

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see why the Love Notions pattern is an all-timer favorite of yours. I think your skirt is the perfect design for the blouse, together they make a lovely dress. I have to agree about separates, you use them so much more than a dress.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts