This dress takes colour blocking to a whole new level. It was made using some block printed stretch poplin from this op shop fabric haul. I have this thing for shirt dresses. I am not quite sure why but I really like these dresses by Kayce Hughes. I know, they are nothing like my own but did inspire this dress in their own way.
I used Vogue 1220 as the pattern. It is part of the Donna Karan Collection. I originally had different fabric intended for this dress but at the last minute realised that it needed to be stretch. I still can't work out why so this dress may indeed end up made in a non stretch fabric at some point.
My change of fabric did throw up a problem though and this came in the form of a lack of fabric. I didn't have enough for the belt, which really isn't a big problem but it also meant I had to cut the sleeves around the wrong way and add a seam into the fly which also didn't present a big problem. I was going to leave out the pockets but because of the placement at the front, I really wanted to include them. I found a piece of black drill in the scraps box and this ended up being the pockets.
I cut the dress to a size 10 because although my measurements indicate otherwise, I find this to be the most accurate size on me. Usually I would grade to a size 12 in the skirt but because the seams are actually at the front, this was not possible so I just cut the 10 and hoped that all of the running I have been doing meant the skirt would actually fit and thankfully it does!
I rescued the buttons off an old work shirt of my husbands so this dress ended up costing me not much more than the cost of the pattern....score!
After giving the dress it's inaugural wearing this afternoon, I have decided it needs a hook and eye at chest level for modesty reasons. It is fine when I am standing up but when I sit down, it is a little risky so this will be on my to do list before I wear it again.