Sunday, September 30, 2012

A Wearable Muslin

 
I wanted to make a pair of Thurlow pants but decided to try the pattern first on some left over fabric.  I chose some grey stretch suiting left over from this pair of Jalie Jeans. 
 
I drafted on pattern off to a size 6.  My measurements actually fell between a size 4 and 6 but I chose the size 6 to be on the safe side.
Because my chosen fabric is stretchy, I opted to use a woven cotton to line the waistband and pockets.  To give it a bit of colour I chose a lovely pink gingham.
 
 
 
The making of these shorts proved to be quite a time consuming exercise.  I think largely because the instructions are not very clear and parts of it I had to put two and two together.  For reasons beyond my control, my commercial overlocker was out of service which meant I had to drag out my domestic one which I do not have a very good relationship with.
 
 
I did make a couple of changes as I constructed these.  I found the adjustable back seam to be pulling the back of the shorts out of shape so I removed it.  I also ran the legs in quite a bit because I knew that the shorts, being synthetic would not hold a folded cuff hem.  I also had to run the back seam in a little to get them to fit  and even now, they are a little on the generous side....the sort of shorts you want to wear after a large barbeque lunch.
 
 
Next time I make this pattern, I will construct them slightly differently and not leave the back seam until last.  In fact, I will not add the back extension at all and fit them before adding the waistband.  The curved waistband is designed to have the seam at the back instead of at the sides, so I may need to change this as well.  I found it quite difficult to get the finish nice and flat with this method of finishing and in my opinion it does make fitting more difficult, although it is probably more of an issue of my inexperience with this form of construction.
 
As you can see, Courteney has claimed these shorts.  She had been looking for a comfortable pair of synthetic shorts to wear for tramping and these fit the bill perfectly.  In reality if I was making this pattern for her I would actually need to make a size 2.  She has already chosen two pieces of fabric for said pairs of shorts so I best get busy....
 
It was a stroke of luck that Courteney is wearing this particular top today, as it was one of my makes this time last year.  She had a rtw top in the same style that she asked me to replicate.  She chose her fabric, and fortunately it cost a fraction of the rtw version.  It is a very simple top with a racer back and bound armholes and neck opening with a decorative front placket.  Although the placket is decorative it is fully functioning if required (although I can't imagine why you would need to use it with a neck opening that large).  This top hasn't had much use which is why I haven't blogged about it before, but as luck would have it she now owns a pair of jeans in the perfect shade of green and the shorts look pretty good with it as well.
 
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. These shorts have turned out so nicely - and such a neat welt pocket - great work! I think the fact that your daughter has claimed these proves they're a success - kids only ever claim the good stuff !

    I haven't yet used many patterns from independent companies but these pants were on my long To Sew list, so it was interesting to read your views on this pattern... I'm intrigued now to look into the different ways of constructing pants!

    ReplyDelete
  2. these ones are constructed exactly the same as menswear pants with an extra wide back seam that extension right through the waistband for easy adjustment. While I like the concept in theory, I am not sold. I do however like the cut of these for a generous butt person like myself. My daughter did mention however and this is something I hadn't noticed, but the fly is around the wrong way to what she is used to rtw.

    ReplyDelete