Megan Nielsen Kelly Skirt



I have admired this skirt for a while, and this skirt by sewbusylizzy was what sold it for me.  Now with my shape, i.e. hips, full skirts can be a little hit and miss, so it was with some trepidation that I actually made this.  I chose a piece of the softest baby cord in navy blue that had been languishing in my stash since my teenage son was a preschooler.  It has been sitting there unloved for so long that it is amazing it is still intact, let alone as deliciously soft as it is.
 


I drafted off my pattern and chose a small based on my measurements and added a couple of centimetres to the length so as to have some choice over the finished length.  The waistband I cut without measuring, just trusting that it would actually fit, but this is where I came unstuck.  I think the waistband on this pattern isn't overly generous with the amount of ease it allows for wear, so unless I was fond of not breathing while wearing the skirt, it would prove to be unworkable.   It was as I was unpicking my now finished waistband complete with buttonholes, that I realised that I didn't actually like the width of the waistband either.  As a vertically challenged person, I felt that the wide waistband just wasn't me, so I cut this down as well. 



I am quite pleased with the final skirt but if I was being picky, which we dressmakers (sewists whatever you call us)  tend to be, I wouldn't be 100% happy with the side seam.  It doesn't line up exactly down my side, the back is a little skimpy and the front a little big comparatively.  Now don't get me wrong, this skirt is perfectly wearable and I do like it, but I am pleased that I chose to make this out of some fabric that I didn't have an attachment to, first.  Because this is such a simple and easy skirt, I wasn't going to, but sometimes it just pays to trust your instincts.  

Comments

  1. I'm sorry it wasn't a perfectly happy make like mine have been. I wear both of mine alot but I tend to like highwaisted and wide-banded skirts. I'm short but they suit me. I trick people into thinking I'm taller than I am somehow - not sure how but I'll take it!
    House of Pinheiro just posted her Kelly skirt today and she's pretty happy with the finished result as well.
    I love it so much as it's easy to make but you can add little personal touches, I finish mine with contrast bias binding and contrast pocket linings. House of Pinheiro used contrast buttons. I keep dreaming of my next one. No such joy with the Darling Ranges dress... it continues to defy me. I'm not happy with it!! I guess I should have expected it as I'm 2 inches under their XS. What's with that!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sizing is really off and I think this may have contributed to my issues. I had to make an extra small according to the measurements and I would normally make a small.

      Delete
  2. Oh, it is a pity you are not happy with it. Is the back really skimpy? a photo to show this would be great :) I have to admit I have seen this made up in blogworld before too, and I can't help but agree with Roobeedoo's assessment that it seems like a nothing-to-it sort of a pattern. On the plus side, it seems like there is plenty of fabric in it, maybe you could squeeze a Vogue 1247, (our joint favourite skirt!) out of it!? ;) The colour goes so gorgeously with your blouse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with roobeedoo. Had I known how simplistic it was I probably would have drafted my own. The vogue pattern is a good backup plan but at this point I am determined to not let it beat me.

      Delete
  3. wow I'm so glad to find your blog through my comments:) you are such a fabulous sewer. I love this pattern but I'm not good with buttonholes so might need to practice a bit more:)

    I'm going to hsve to read through more of your posts for a bit of inspiration to sew for myself!

    corrie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Corrie,

      Thank you for your comment.

      I was surprised when I started sewing for myself again, how much I had missed custom fitted clothing. I thoroughly recommend it when you have the time again.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts