Blue Hawaii Set


With summer upon us and holidays looming, I was quite keen to have another attempt at making swimwear for myself.  I was really happy with last years version, but like all first attempts, I felt there was room for improvement.  My gripe with version one of McCalls 5400, although small was the that slip in padding moved around constantly and I felt that the neckband and under bust would have benefited from some concealed elastic to stop the fabric stretching out when wet.  

For my latest set though, rather than cutting into a new piece of fabric, and I have have more in my stash, I chose to use up the leftovers from last years suit.  Being a mother of three, I particularly liked the coverage the halter top appeared to give and wanted to balance out my bottom half with equally adequate coverage and to cover any potential lumps and bumps that my child bearing years have generously gifted me.  This is no easy task where a bikini is concerned.  I have actually steered clear of bikinis for the last 18 years preferring a one piece which are extremely practical when in the water but not so for extended periods, if you know what I mean!




After numerous version already, in both underwear and swimwear, using this pattern, I knew that size 12 for the bottoms would be the best fit.  I set about making the high rise version.  I must have read the pattern incorrectly as the waist elastic proved to be too tight.  After quick surgery with the scissors and reattaching a longer piece of elastic, I am pretty happy.  Now the top,  I cut to a size 10 A/B cup.  The only change I made was to add elastic underneath the cup because I noticed when I searched this pattern that the versions I had seen did not seem to sit closely to the rib cage and this I felt would look and feel much better.  For the bra cups, I cut up some cups I had rescued out of an old bra to the size I wanted and overlocked around them.  I worked out where I wanted them to sit and top stitched them to the inside of my bra cup lining.  I think the hardest part of this whole project was fitting the band clasps myself.  I don't think I have ever been stabbed with pins so much in my entire life!




My verdict with this set!  Well it performed amazingly well on the Abel Tasman track.  We walked 11kms on a warm summers day, with views of bays such as this one above Sandfly Bay  along the way.  By the time we reached our water taxi collection point, I was not in the slightest bit concerned about wearing a bikini, my only thought was how quickly could I get my weary bones into that water!


After my initial swim in my new bikini, my bikini inhibitions began to disappear.  I really like the cut and fit of this top and will definitely be making this style again.

Comments

  1. Great bikini! Looks really professional.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I overlooked the pieces together before zig zagging the elastic on and straight topstitching. They shouldn't fall apart in a hurry.

      Delete
  2. Lovely bikini! This looks very RTW. Great idea to reuse some old bra cups. Pretty fabric too. You should be very pleased with yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The old bra cups worked really well. In future I will be stitching my cups the same way it was so successful.

      Delete
  3. I really like the shape of the halter top, great suit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. This top is a really nice cut. There is plenty of support.

      Delete
  4. Great attitude wearing a bikini after all these years! It looks fantastic and the holiday spot is to die for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This particular beach was relatively quiet which makes parading in front of the camera easier. Also it is a tourist spot so everyone is posing for photos!

      Delete
  5. Great work on the bikini, your stitching looks impeccable. I think making swimwear is a real test of one's ability and patience, it's not easy to a great looking elastic insertion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Actually now I have done a few I find it looks more difficult than the reality.

      Delete
  6. Fantastic - a bikini after child bearing, so very brave! Your swimmers look very well made. Congratulations. Cheers, Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Not quite brave. Note the discretely placed ocean!

      Delete
  7. Great swimsuit. I want to be wherever that picture was taken!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The photo was taken in Anchorage, Golden Bay

      Delete
  8. I love the bikini too! Beautiful stitching. I am still not completely happy with my bathers making efforts - probably just need more practice though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I found with this set that good quality thread and a new stretch needle does the trick. I also use textured polyester thread in both my bobbin and loopers.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts