A Bird In The Hand......
I have been taking pity on my poor student daughter and doing a bit of Christmas unselfish sewing.
Courteney and I were in a fabric store before Christmas
when she admired some lovely chiffon with tiny horses printed on it. There was also a bird version. This fabric did not come cheap though! At $20 per metre, I thought I could perhaps do better online, and I did. Fabric.com had the exact print for around half the price, landed at my door. I quickly hit buy now before too many other treasures found their way into my shopping cart, and believe me some did!
Upon it's arrival I quickly set to work. I was a little daunted by working with chiffon as two ball dresses had tested my patience with sheer fabrics at the time. The gelatine method was trialled for insurance. I actually used Kbenco's method which uses measurements I understand. Initially I wasn't sure whether it actually had any effect and put it down to spinning and tumble drying, but actually, I think it was easier to work with.
Once again, at Courteney's request, I made an Grainline Archer. Given the fabric is so sheer, I wasn't sure how to go about the print showing through issue on the yoke and pocket. I didn't want a second layer of birds visible through my outer fabric. I solved this by backing my yoke with voile curtaining I found in my stash. It is the perfect shade of off white to match the blouse. The second area of concern was the pockets. I interlined these with ivory voile as well which both cut down on the print showing through and stabilized the pocket enough to make it simple to sew on straight.
I am thrilled with the result and actually wouldn't mind stealing it for myself!