More Unselfish Sewing
After finishing my leather jacket, I had a huge piece of leather left over. My original plan was to make a pair of ponti/leather pants, but really, as much as I like them in theory, I couldn't see myself wearing them. I asked Courteney, in a moment of weakness whether she would like a leather jacket. Well dah! Of course she did! She didn't however like the assymetric zip on my jacket so set me a challenge of finding a pattern without one. Burda Style 03/2013 135 came to mind. I have post it notes all through my pattern magazines marking the styles I would like to make and this was one of them. I do find the sizing on Burda Style patterns a little hit and miss so it was a little definitely going to be a leap of faith making this up in leather without making a muslin.
My only complaint with this pattern is a lack of pockets and I did contemplate adding one, but the seam lines actually mean't doing so would in my opinion, interrupt the lines of the jacket.
I added extra width to the jacket at the side seams just in case my selected size 38 was too small. Courteney is slightly broader than me in the shoulders but basically we are the same size. In the end, the extra width was not needed so I ran it in. I also asked Courteney if she wanted zips in the sleeves, but she felt, that at Uni they would get in the way when she was writing.
Like my version, I interlined the entire jacket with cotton flannel and stitched the entire jacket with my walking foot. I lined the jacket with royal blue satin that I picked up in one of my op shop trips for only $2.