Grey Coated Gingers
I have made another pair of Ginger Jeans. My last pair is now on it's last legs having suffered a zip malfunction that requires a piece of bungy cord to pull it up. Sadly it is time they are retired before an actual embarrassing malfunction ensues. It is such a shame as they have become my favourites. I was hoping with my latest fabric, another purchase from Fabric.com, to replicate them. After wearing them for the first time today, although comfortable, they do not have the same feel good feeling about them. Oh well, they fill a gap in my wardrobe and are comfortable.
I didn't change a thing with my recipe but just like baking cakes, not all denim is created equal and this denim unfortunately does not have quite the recovery of my former pair despite being coated denim which I would have assumed would have. I used light grey topstitching for this particular pair and did it free hand. I couldn't be bothered re-threading my machine and twin needle so just did two rows of stitching.
I have noticed with both this pair and the last pair, and I must admit it is more obvious in my latest pair, is the inner leg seam wants to twist towards the front. I tried looking this up on the net and the only suggestion was it was off grain. I know this is not the case, as I am very particular when laying out my pattern and both eyeballing my grain and meticulously measuring. I can only think that it is a peculiarity with my shape. I think I need to do some sort of adjustment to the front and back inner leg seams to fix the problem. I am just not sure what yet!
All in all I am pretty happy with my latest pair of jeans despite being far from perfect. I may try taking a pattern off a favourite rtw pair next just so I can compare.