McCall's 7284 in Silk



Kiwis and Australians may be familiar with Nina Proudman, a character on the tv show Offspring.  I love the stylish version of boho that Ninas character seems to pull of so well.  All going to plan I am hoping to emulate her just a little in my spring wardrobe and my latest top is the first in my plan.

The blue silk was a The Fabric Store sale find a couple of years ago.  I love it but was a little daunted at the thought of making it up.  Unusually for me, I didn't trial the pattern I chose to make it up in, instead diving in head first.




McCall's 7284 has not been overly popular if Google is anything to go by.  I wanted to make view A.  I cut the pattern to size 10 but after nearly completing it and trying it on, I found it was too tight across the shoulders and chest.  I was a bit gutted to say the least.  In my favour though, was the length of the sleeves, too long for my needs.  To overcome my fit issues I did two things.  I recut the sleeves with more volume in the sleeve cap and reduced my seam allowances to 1cm.  The fit is now okay but there is definitely room for improvement.  
In hindsight, I should have really trialed this pattern on a less valuable fabric.  


I really like the look of the resulting top and it works well as both a work top and for casual like I have styled it here.  I do however find it a tad snug across the chest.  







Comments

  1. Super save, I think it is a lovely top which really suits you. I have a good pile too which I look at and go through but find it hard to sew with which is mad and ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying to remedy my good pile. One down, quite a few to go!

      Delete
  2. Lucky you were able to make adjustments to improve the fit so this lovely fabric was not wasted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your attitude to fabric - I have too many precious pieces in my stash that I just never get the courage to use for fear of wasting it on an ill thought out project. I really like your top, the fabric really stands out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kristy! You make such lovely things it is hard to believe you have any disasters.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts