Vernazza Two Piece Version 2



 In my last swimsuit post, I did say there would be a second version of the Vernazza Two Piece, well here it is!  This one is very different to the first.  Unfortunately I have rather missed the boat this summer on the worn photos because for this wuss swimming season is over so here it is in a flatlay form.




Once again I used some lovely Liberty Swim Lycra from The Fabric Store.  This piece however was bought specifically and didn't come from my stash.  As a Christmas thank you to their customers, The Fabric Store sent through a $20 discount voucher right before Xmas and as soon as I received it, I knew what I intended to do with it.

This time I cut my pants to a size medium and the top to a small but with major alterations.  I needed a small across the back and shoulders but more fabric in the cups than the pattern was drafted to include.  From memory, I think this pattern is designed for a B or C cup and I am neither.  My solution was a full bust adjustment.  To do this, I put in a dart in the bottom of the cups.  It is only a small dart, about 1.5cm in total but after going down a size, I needed the extra room.  I also felt that the elastic stated in the pattern was a little short and gathered the fabric too much.  On the shoulders especially it meant the fabric did not sit flat against my body.  I also found the shoulders were too wide for me so I narrowed these as well.  



Now, with the elastic for this pair, I used the elastic measurements for the next size up which was actually only slightly smaller than the length of the fabric I was attaching it to.  I also cut my bodice lining in two pieces.  The main bodice lining is plain black but I joined my printed fabric at the end of the tie so that the lining isn't visible when the suit is worn.  This is a little annoying with my last pair.



To give a little more of a rtw appearance to the top, I included elastic in the band that was the full width of the band and did thread it through like the pattern suggested, securing it with a row of stitching at the side seams.  I didn't do this with the pants, instead opting for a narrow swim elastic in the seam. I felt that the wide elastic may just be a little bulky for the pants.  I hope this doesn't come back to bite me in the bum (yes, more puns) when I come to swim in them.

Comments

  1. I had not seen this swimsuit pattern before. Very cute but also wearable. Love the fabric. I didn't know that Liberty made swimsuit fabric.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts