My favourite summer top of 2014 was Sewaholic Belcarra. I still love this pattern but this time round I was after something with a little more ease. I could have reworked the Sewaholic pattern and probably should have, but a couple of days before my trip to the US, I decided I simply had to have Stylearc Courtney because well, it has the same name as my daughter, even if the spelling is slightly different. This became my first project on my return. Unusually for me, my motivation to sew, oh, and just about everything else disappeared on my return so this project did drag quite a bit, a bit like my efforts at blogging lately.
I ordered the pattern in size 8 which should have fitted but in hindsight I could have gone down a size. Despite that, the finished top does have the relaxed look I was after.
To test the pattern for size, my first project was made using a piece of op shop rayon, in navy and white. I had just enough to make the top, cutting around the hole that I found after purchasing it.
The top went together quite easily but for some reason the hem was a nightmare. The resulting hem was tamed into submission but really wanted to be a lettuce edge finish for some reason.
For my next version I have narrowed the neck because I do find this one wants to slip off my shoulders.
I am pretty happy with the resulting top and although I probably won't get carried away making them, I will be making more.