All A Flutter
I made a new top. This one is in response to my overwhelming need/want of a Papercut Patterns flutter top and my lack of need of another pattern and the $25 price tag to go with it. I have a favourite shift dress so couldn't see why I couldn't just draft a suitable sleeve to go with it.
After examining the shape of the drop shoulder on the dress I laid
my front and back of New Look 6145 on my drafting mat and set about drawing a new shoulder line 3 centimetres lower than the existing. I then narrowed the neckline by a further 1.5cm because I just find the neckline in this dress too wide. Because I was worried about the depth of the armhole with the new armhole shape, I lowered the armhole 1 cm. I then lowered the sleeve cap to match and added 1cm to the width of the sleeve as well. Once this was complete, I proceeded to cut the sleeve into 3cm splits, splaying my slits a further 1.5cm until I had a sleeve I was happy with. I hope all of that make sense? I have provided visuals because words at 6.30am are not my strong point but more on that in another post!
Now that I had my pattern, it was time to assemble the top. For the fabric I once again rummaged through my remnants and came across a piece of polyester of some sort, with good drape, that had originally been bought for lining for a coat but ended up becoming this top, so it was really time it was finally used up.
I omitted the zip in the back but should have allowed a little extra width because I forgot that this being a top needed to be worn over a skirt or pants so needed a little extra ease. The problem was easily fixed by adding a vent to the centre back seam which the Flutter top pattern had anyway. I finished both the neck and sleeves with matching bias binding.
Despite it being a little tight in the hips, although this is now remedied, I really like the fit on this top. For the next version though, I will lengthen the sleeves by 5cm to just hit the elbow.