Thursday, November 22, 2012

Blueberries And Icecream


This is what this outfit reminds me of.  The white jeans I wrote about here.  This time of the year, also reminds me of berries.


My real blueberries have some way to go before we will be eating them.  This plant was only planted a couple of months ago so I really have no idea what to expect.  I keep watching those little blue flowers though to see the transformation.


If you thought you had seen this somewhere before, you would be correct.  Once again I present New Look 6071.  This time as a top and not a dress.  Because I like the striped look in this pattern though, I just couldn't resist just one more.  The fabric I chose is a cotton rib knit that was left over from this tunic. 
Tops are a little short in supply in my wardrobe at the moment so I think this will be my focus for a while.  I have quite a collection of knit fabrics, some leftover and some new but all taking up way too much space in my tight fabric cupboard so this needs to change.



The only change I have made to this pattern, other than my usual grading from size 10 to 12 in the hips was to shorten the sleeves to a short sleeved version and adding sleeve bands.  The picture on the pattern shows this top as tunic length but don't be fooled.  This is the finished length as made to the pattern and given I am only 160cm tall, this is by no means generous in length.  I am happy however as this length suits me just fine.

I am pretty happy with the stripe matching in the sides and down the back.  The sleeves were a little more difficult because the shoulder does not sit at natural shoulder level.  I am not too upset though as I have seen most rtw look a lot worse.  To get my stripe matching perfect, I didn't just race down the seams with the overlocker.  Instead I pinned every couple of stripes and stay stitched with my sewing machine first, running over the pins as I went. 

The other little detail I changed with the sewing of this top was the hole that the yoke passes through.  The pattern has you straight stitch around a line with right sides together.  I ironed interfacing to the wrong sides of mine first and made a proper buttonhole with the largest button I could fit in my buttonholer.  I used the buttonholer for my previous versions as well, but made two holes.  The single hole was much easier and more accurate for matching.  I then simply peeled off the interfacing before assembling....quick, easy and most importantly very neat!  



8 comments:

  1. What a great outfit! This pattern works so well with stripes - I have a sleeveless one cut out waiting to be put together. Loving the top - and thanks for the buttonhole tip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I have an addiction to stripes with this one. I am looking forward to seeing yours.

      Delete
  2. beautiful! Great variation on that pattern too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This is my third version so I am trying to keep it fresh.

      Delete
  3. This is a super top indeed -I think you will be inspiring lots of people to get this pattern - I will be . Now I don`t know if you have a bird problem but the birds will eat our blueberries before they are even ripe - it is better with netting but the little blighters sometimes even find their way under the netting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! If my raspberries and strawberries are anything to go by, I will be needing netting,

      Delete
  4. This pattern morphs beautifully into a top! Again, I love it made with the stripes and what a pretty shade of purple/blue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Its funny isn't it, that actually, I like this top better than the original one I made with this fabric.

      Delete