Tuesday, November 13, 2012

"She Wore An Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny...."


Okay, so it is not exactly yellow and polka dot but none the less does not require much fabric.  In fact, a mere 40cm of lycra went into this bikini.
 
 
This project started as new pants to replace last years ailing pair.  It needed to match a aqua, pink, red and turquoise Roxy bikini top.  I was really pleased with my pair of bikini pants made using McCall's 5400 so this was my starting point.  Because this bikini belongs to my daughter, I made a size 10 in the bottom.  The fabric I picked up in a recent Lyncraft 30% off sale.  Good job too because at $35 per metre full price, even at a mere 40cm, this project was going to be costly.

 
After completing the pants, I realised that I still had quite a large piece left over so decided to make the matching top.  This is where I came unstuck.  I drafted up a size 8, but after laying the Roxy top on my pattern, found that the shape was quite different.  The Roxy top was a triangle whereas the pattern had convex sides.  After weighing up the pros and cons, I opted to make the top exactly to the pattern.  Big Mistake!  After completing the top, I realised that the elasticated convex sides did not sit flat and stuck out revealing the elastic edge.   If I could have neatly unpicked the stitching, I could have quite easily fixed the problem, but this stuff does not unpick anything like neatly, so it was back to the drawing board.
 
 
 
It was at this point that I took the remaining fabric and cut a pattern off the Roxy top and made it up exactly the same.  I double lined the top using some nylon knit fabric that was gifted to me.  The first lining is completely stitched in and the second is a little pocket which enables bra liners to be inserted (see far right hand side of the top). 
 
 
We were a little concerned that a plain aqua bikini may be a little boring so we dressed it up with a few plastic craft beads.



We are really pleased with the results.  The new bikini is exactly the same fit as the original and cost a fraction of the cost of a replacement rtw.  I think I may well be called on again for future bikinis.

8 comments:

  1. The bikini looks like a quality garment. The beads were a great idea to give it a little pop. Well Done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being 16, I don't think my daughter would have worn anything that looked "homemade". I had to buy a large packet of beads so no doubt they will make an appearance elsewhere.

      Delete
  2. It's gorgeous! And out of all the bikini patterns I've seen, this mccalls one looks the most normal. I think you'll be making a few of these in the future for sure.
    What I wouldn't give to be able to get away with an itsy bitsy creation like this one on the beach! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was 16, I wore something similar....think royal with white spots though. I wouldn't mind being able to get away with one now though!

      Delete
  3. super cute togs . last year my youngest Daughter bought the tiniest bikini which I didn`t realise until we got home and now they are way too small even by her standards . Perhaps I should sew some for her so I have a little more control over coverage !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know....there really isn't much left to the imagination with some of them. It does give you some control if you make your own

      Delete