Beach Bling


This picture is actually from the weekend.  Today is 30 plus degrees and blowing a howling gale, not beach going weather, a day best spent inside in front of the sewing machine, far enough away but just close enough to keep an eye on the ten or so 16 year olds that are celebrating after finishing their exams and signing out of school for the year by swimming in my pool and cooking up burgers and sausages on my barbecue.
 
I don't have many light weight tops for very hot weather.  My daughter chose this beautiful grey cotton knit with a gold blingy rose embossed pattern on it for me.  I was going to make another Renfrew out of it but decided to step out of my comfort zone, after a bit of encouragement by Courteney and make it into McCall's 6359.  Now, I was a little concerned that this style was a little too young for me, especially after she tried to claim it for herself, but reserved my judgement until the actual day of wearing.
 
 
I cut the top to a size 10 and made no changes except to shorten it dramatically.  The instructions called for a bias tape finish around the arm and neck openings but I didn't actually have any, so I made my own using some left over lightweight stretch suiting from my stash. 



I have actually grown to like the loose fit especially on a really hot day. It is the perfect hot weather top for a morning of lifeguard duties and dog walking.  I have teamed my new top with black cotton shorts from Barkins, gold Diana Ferrari sandals, me made beach tote and obligatory morning coffee.

 

Comments

  1. what a cool fabric!
    and that beach -- amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet you will wear this top heaps. Love the dress in the previous post too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and yes I am starting to think it will become a favourite as well!

      Delete
  3. Looks like a great top for a summery day at the beach

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really pleased with it and keen to make another.

      Delete
  4. Another great make. What a perfect summer top! The racer back is a great style on you too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts