Merry Christmas.....A New Dress

 
 
 
 
 
I bought some beautiful Japanese linen from a clothing manufacturer when they cleared their fabric stock at the end of last summer and I knew straight away what I was going to make from the fabric.  It had to be a dress and when the Cambie was released it really was a no brainer.  I haven't yet found a Sewaholic pattern I don't like or doesn't work for me with very little alteration.  The full skirted version was not really my style but the A line version was perfect.  I only had 2 metres of fabric so I hoped I had enough.  It turns out, that with a little pattern manipulation, I did  have enough fabric, just.
 
 
I lined the dress with some lovely silky shirt fabric that I found on the $3 table at Fabric Vision in the perfect shade of green and luckily found the perfect green invisible zipper in Lincraft.  Once I finished the dress, I found that the A line cut was a little more pronounced than I would like so I lay my favourite Vogue A line skirt on the dress and recut it to the same dimensions.  It now fits me beautifully, not so much the mannequin.  I have lost a little weight and have been too busy lazy to alter the mannequin. Okay, if the truth be known I quite like being reminded of the fact and besides, by the time Christmas is done, the mannequin will probably be a better representation of my true size anyway.

Comments

  1. Gorgeous fabric - and great to see you out in the sunshine. It was weirdly murky and grey over at New Brighton, almost foggy. Merry Christmas to you too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay I cheated a little with these photos. The mannequin photos were taken earlier in the week. It did manage to come out hot later in the day and my boys also managed to sneak in a swim but in a pool.

      Delete
  2. Love it and perfect for the hot weather. Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty and perfect for a warm Christmas! Hope it was a lovely day for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh I really really really like this Cambie - gorgeous and I love the skirt alteration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I found with this linen, that even though it was soft, it just didn't look right with such a wide A line.

      Delete
  5. This is the nicest Cambie I've seen! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I put that down to such beautiful fabric. I just wish I had more of it.

      Delete
  6. Merry (belated) Christmas to you! On the strength of these photos, it looks as though I am going to have to join the Cambie train after all. Your version is an absolute winner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry (belated) Xmas and Happy New Year to you as well!

      As much as I love this dress, I do think that there really is only room in my wardrobe for one of these dress, so at this stage can't see a repeat but, you know, never say never.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts