Domestic Bliss


Doesn't everyone garden like this?


Dressed to the nines like a 1950's housewife!  Okay, I confess, this dress was never intended to be worn for gardening.  You, don't say, I hear you all chorus!  This is going to be the Christmas dress.  It was chosen and designed by Courteney and executed by me.   By executed I mean, she told me what she wanted and I had to make it happen.  My brief was, I kid you not, the dress of a newsreader on a tv show one particularly early Saturday morning.  I had to absorb every detail of this newsreaders dress after being dragged bleary eyed from my slumber.

We chose the fabric from Fabric Vision.  The lace was conveniently on the $8 sale table, the burgungy was on the $3 sale table and the satin lining was on the remnant table. 

I started with Sewaholic Alma in size 2.  The top is made of lace and underlined with satin lining. 
I was going to use Sewaholic Cambie skirt for the lower half but my burgundy fabric was a little too heavy for such a full skirt so in the end, I made it to my own measurements.  Fortunately the Alma is supposed to have a side invisible zip closure so this was pretty easy to translate into a dress.


The dress had to have a keyhole opening which initially I avoided but upon completion it was obvious that the size 2 was not going to easily fit over my daughters head so the keyhole was cut grudgingly in my newly completed project out of necessity. I made some bias tape out of the left overs from the skirt and this was used to finish both the keyhole and the arm holes.  The keyhole closes with a hook and eye.

Courteney is pretty happy with the results and it fits like a glove.  She wants to wear it, not with the pretty sandals, but a canvas pair of Vans....go figure!

 



Comments

  1. What a beautiful dress, and yes, the Vans will just set it off nicely (says she of two teenage children who just 'must have' Vans to wear)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You. The funny thing is...my Mum bought me a similar pair of sneakers as a teenager and I hated them and refused to wear them let alone with a dress!

      Delete
  2. She looks so happy with it...go mama!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You. Me thinks the silly season may be going to our heads!

      Delete
  3. Oh that is so cute! Great job, both of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! There are some lovely dresses out there for young girls this season.

      Delete
  4. so cute! just the right amount of visual interest while still being simple and classic!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts