Thursday, November 12, 2015

McCall's Twist Shirt



 McCall's 6992 was a pattern I bought in an online pattern sale before reading the reviews.  By the time I was ready to make it up,  was already having reservations.  The fabric I had chosen was not reversible which is necessary for the draped front so the entire project was put on the back burner pending more thought.  I put the pattern back into my collection but it was never far from my mind even after reading the less than favourable reviews.




It was after a recent visit to the op shop and my acquisition of two metres of black and beige georgette and a little online tyre kicking that I decided to make it up.  It was this shirt that really tipped the balance in favour of action.



















I cut the top to size 8 which is one size smaller
than I would usually make, knowing that this pattern ran huge.   My plan was for 2cm seam allowance but even this wasn't enough.  I ended up running the top in a further 2cms down the side seams  in both the bodice and sleeves.  I also modified the back hem to a rather normal shaped shirt tail instead of the exaggerated duck tail as drafted.



I am pretty happy with the resulting top.  It makes a pleasant change from my usual bog standard work shirts but I think there really is only room in my wardrobe for one. My only small gripe, is that since I ran the top in so dramatically after carefully matching those squares up, they are now quite out of line.  Fortunately, because they are small, it is not really noticeable.


2 comments:

  1. It's very cute! I am still seeing this top in stores. I kind of like the other views in the pattern too!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of this top but I have actually found a similar pattern New Look 6303, that I am keen to try.

      Delete