McCall's 6886 Modified



 
Today was a very good day to be a duck, so have the last 3 days for that matter!  It is also a good day to start wearing some of my autumn wardrobe. 


I have been pondering knit work tops for a while now.  I had high hopes for Simplicity 1366 but really this style of boxy top just doesn't work for me.  Because I have hips it just makes me look like a column.  Enter McCall's 6886.  I love the three dresses I made using this pattern and have already made my Mum a top using it as well.  I really must get a photo of it.  For Mum's top I pretty much kept to the original pattern because she has a very different shape to me but I wanted more of a loose slightly cropped style that I could wear with culottes.  

A recent 40% off sale at Spotlight unearthed this lovely white and black striped ponte knit.  I nearly didn't buy it because, well, more stripes but then I did buy it because, well, mores stripes!

I cut the top out pretty much to the pattern except for the side seams.  Once I had decided on my length and for the record, it is the same length as my much maligned Simplicity top, because this is one of the things I do like about it, I then added 1cm to each side seam at the hem and recut the side seam to a straight seam, ignoring the curve.  I hope that makes sense!


I really love the resulting top, so much so, that if I can find more suitable ponte, there will be more.


Comments

  1. You can never have enough striped tops. Love how you have adapted this pattern to create your perfect top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks great! I'm sure it will get heaps of wear :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolyn! It has already had quite a bit of wear.

      Delete
  3. "I nearly didn't buy it because, well, more stripes but then I did buy it because, well, mores stripes!" Exactly. A very accurate description of that feeling for many of us, I'm sure. =)

    Great top! It's very chic and versatile--I'm sure it will be a great addition to your wardrobe for work and play!

    -Abbey

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts