Modified Simplicity 4589


 Way back when I started this blog in 2011, I made up Simplicity 4589 but it never became a favourite because of the extra large neckline that caused it to fall off my shoulders.  I actually had the pattern in a pile to get rid of, but my desire for a peasant blouse cause me t think again.  I nearly bought True Bias Roscoe blouse but on further scrutiny decided that it was just a little voluminous for my 1.6m frame.  I decided to improve on what I already had.  My solution was to raise the neckline by the width of the neckband.  The process involved lengthening the front, back and sleeves at the neckline and redrawing the neckband 5cm inside the current neckline.  That is clear as mud right?



The fabric I chose for the new blouse is a lovely drapey rayon from Cotura Fashions end of summer sale last year.  I had 2 metres and the fabric isn't a fabric hos so I have enough for a second project.

I created a placket by cutting a facing and added a bias finish to the sleeves.  I found some perfectly matching beads for the ties in my stash to finish the blouse.


As much as I wanted to keep the finished blouse, this one has been gifted to Courteney.  I love it so much I may just have to replicate it.

It has been quite a few months since I finished it and I did take a photo of it on my mannequin at the time but have no idea what happened to it.  It then disappeared to her flat never to be seen again until last week.  She turned up at home wearing it, so despite a few wrinkles from wear, I grabbed my camera before she and the blouse disappeared again.  So please excuse the wrinkles.  I am just keeping it real.


Comments

  1. Oh I can see why you wanted to keep this beautiful blouse. Your modifications to the pattern have worked a treat, and the fit looks spot on. You should make yourself one too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is certainly on my list at some point.

      Delete
  2. It looks a totally different top now. I have made this pattern 3 times and love it. I find it wide too but it doesn't fall off my shoulders luckily. I still wear all 3 versions especially on extra hot days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that I have fixed the neckline, it is a lovely shape.

      Delete
  3. This is so cute! I can see why you both wanted to keep it. I would too! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts