Simplicity 1696 Pants

 A pair of chino style work pants have been on my wish list for some time now.  I have put the project off because fitting trousers has to be one of my least favorite sewing tasks.  I had heard good things about Simplicity Amazing Fit patterns so Simplicity 1696 was on my pattern wish list.  


Because I had full intention of making pants for some time now, I bought some $6 per metre suiting from Cotura Fashions in their summer sale and put it aside for a trial pair.  At this price, if they were a complete disaster I didn't really care too much.  

To choose my size and fit, I measured a pair of rtw pants I had bought from Esprit last spring.  I measured the back rise because this can tend to ride down on me and chose my fit based on this measurement.  It put me in the curvy fit which I wasn't surprised about.  I actually ended up making the pants a size smaller than my measurements indicated because I find the big four patterns seem to have quite a bit of ease.  This worked out really nicely and I didn't have to make too many alterations to get them to fit nicely.  Because the pattern has 2.5cm side seam allowances, there is plenty to come and go on size wise anyway.

I really like the order of construction with these pants.  The waistband is added to the four leg sections in four sections which makes the fitting really easy.  The only thing I don't like about the pants is the fake back welt which seems to be a common complaint.  I think in future pairs I will make proper welts even if I don't add pocket bags.

To finish my pants I hemmed them with fake cuffs and shortened them to a cropped length which is taking a little getting used to.


I am really happy with the fit I managed to achieve.  Yes, there are wrinkles at the back in this photo but this is largely caused by three things.  The fabric is quite lightweight which makes them more drapey.  My hands are in my pockets which is probably not the best idea for fit photos.  Lastly, a little know fact but one I am acutely aware of especially when hemming my trousers, is I have one leg about 1.5 - 2 cm longer than the other.

Will I make these again?  Definitely!  As far as I am concerned this pattern is a keeper.


Comments

  1. The pants look terrific. I have heard good things about amazing fit patterns. I think I will look out for this one and try make the own I own ( a dress ) . I gave my friend an Amazing fit skirt pattern and it turned out well too. PS love your 👠.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice work. Looks good on you. I love a practical garment that will get every day wear. I also have this pattern. TY for reminding me! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. They do look good - now it is safe to cut into the expensive fabric with real welt pockets!
    I have a leg length discrepancy too of about 1cm - body asymmetries are very common!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice pants and the fit looks excellent. The whole outfit looks great.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts