The Little Black Victory Dress
The pattern, Nicola by Victory Patterns, is a new one to me, so I was quite unsure of the fit. I spent quite some time with my tape measure adjusting the pattern for the perfect fit and even redrawing the bodice grading between sizes. I read that this neckline is quite low cut so I added a small amount of width here as well.
The fabric I chose is a black crepe that I picked up at my favourite op shop. The lace I bought in Sydney last year at Pitt Trading and was a scant 30cm, so just enough for a sleeve. The black lining came from Lincraft. I chose Bemburg lining and this proved to be the most expensive part of the dress, which I find a little frustrating.
The pattern from memory calls for the skirt to be lined but the bodice not, which I thought was quite odd. Since I had enough lining, I decided to line the entire dress. At this point I was also considering lining the sleeves because I was worried my lace may be a little scratchy to wear with its lurex thread running through it. In the end I didn't have enough lining which I am now really pleased about because I don't think they sleeve would have had enough drape had I lined it.
Instead of lining the sleeve, I chose to bind the edges. It was a risk because binding lace could have opened a whole can of wobbly worms but it turned out great. I used my crepe fabric as the binding and in the black I feel ties the skirt and sleeve together. This has turned out to be my favourite feature of the dress.
To finish the dress I used Victory's very clever button hook technique and added a rather lovely blingy button that I rescued off a pair of sandals before I threw them out.
I love this dress! The bodice did require a hook and eye closure to stop it from gaping but that is my only minor complaint. I think it will live in my wardrobe for a very long time and hope it gets many outings!