Tessuti Berlin Jacket





My latest make is a result of feeling the cold at work.  I went out and bought merino socks for my feet but really wanted an outer layer for the office that wasn't a coat.  The office I work in used to hold trucks and has been extensively upgraded to a modern office.  It still retains is original floor and high ceilings and where the door once was is glass, lots of glass!  With such a large area, in the cold weather the heating system struggles to keep up.

I happened to see a post on Facebook by Fabric Vision selling a boiled wool of sorts that had a dye bleeding issue that was knocked down to $10 per metre.  I couldn't get down there quick enough to acquire a piece.  I figured that I would pre wash it with some salt and if that didn't work, a coat really doesn't need much laundering anyway!


I bought my fabric home last week, and quickly washed it and hung it outside to dry a mere ten minutes before a downpour.  Rather than wait for it to fine up again, I threw the fabric in the dryer on low heat and hoped that it didn't turn into felted wool.  I was lucky, because my 1.5m only shrank by 15cm.














My pattern of choice was Tessuti Berlin because this has been a favourite on IG for a couple of years now.  The boxiness is not my usual shape but I wanted something I could layer.  

I taped the pattern and cut my jacket in front of the TV on Friday night and made it up on Saturday in between the odd chore.  It was a super quick and satisfying make.  My 1.35m of fabric proved to be just enough to make the jacket.  It is a good thing I have short arms and had to shorten the sleeves anyway.


Once I had the jacket to try on stage, I realised that my short arms meant the pockets were useless for putting my hands in because they were too low.  Fortunately this fabric was easy to unpick and the stitching holes didn't show because pockets that are useless are, well useless to me!  I raised the pockets by 7cm.  I must remember I did this when I make another version because there will be another.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts