Tessuti Evie Bias Skirt


 

 I really wanted to make myself a midi skirt for the winter this year but find that full skirts do nothing for my shape despite all of the internet wardrobe experts telling me that hourglasses and pears can wear them.  They just make me feel frumpy so I tend to avoid them at all costs.  A bias cut skirt though can skim the figure and not add bulk if done correctly.  I say correctly because if I got it wrong it could also have exactly the same effect as the full skirts that I am so keen to avoid.

When Tessuti released their bias skirt, I immediately mentally banked this pattern away as one to watch.  After I saw a few really lovely versions pop up on my Insta feed, I was sold.  I had in mind the perfect piece of fabric to trial it on that was leftover from my cocktail dress from a few years back.  It is a black mystery crepe that I picked up from the op shop and I guessed I had just the right amount leftover for a skirt.


I cut the skirt out to the size corresponding to the instructions but after sewing one of the side seams, decided that the waist was going to be too tight so shortened it slightly at the waist.  I finished the skirt including the zip and bound waistband only to discover that actually the pattern may have been correct in the first place.  I should have trusted the draft because my skirt now was too big around the middle.  To fix it I needed to unpick the waist binding on the non zip side and run the skirt in then shorten and re attach the waist binding.  


Before I hemmed my skirt, I tried it on and discovered that the skirt dipped in the front and rose in the back.  This is not unusual for me because of my sway back.  I removed  1.5cm from the skirt hem at the front and then just hemmed it at the new length.  After adding a hook and eye my skirt was ready to wear.


This was a super quick project and is lovely and swishy to wear.  I wasn't too sure how practical it would be in our really cold weather but I managed to find some really thick brushed tights.  Maybe I need to be on the lookout for more suitable fabric to make another one.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts