First Aid Required...
This blouse is part of my autumn wardrobe. It was raining when I got up yesterday morning, hence the tights and my new brogues by World. I quickly realised however as I took this photo that it really was too warm for this ensemble so changed to this:
By lunchtime however, we had reached 30deg celsius and 50% humidity, so the linen lined skirt was not cutting it either and I opted for a sundress...never mind, there will be plenty of cooler weather to enjoy both of these outfits.
I made this blouse using a crushed satin from this op shop haul and Vogue V1247. It was pretty easy to make but did require an awful lot of ironing. For my trouble, I also ended up with a 10cm burn on the inside of my arm.
I cut it out to a size 10 but in hindsight, I could have gone down to an 8. I find Vogue patterns quite hard to figure out size wise because my measurements on the packet would have put me at a size 12 to 14 but in reality, especially with this pattern, I need to make up at least a size or two smaller.
I initially wasn't convinced about the French seaming. It looks really good on the pieced seams but was quite difficult to get the side seams sitting how I wanted them because of the curve under the arm. If I was to make it again, I think I would use a regular seam here. The picture above shows the inside of the blouse which looks really nice and will retain it's good looks for the life of the blouse.
I had read however that this blouse is notorious for falling off ones shoulders, so as a finishing touch, I added some bra strap holders, made using a leftover piece of fabric and a couple of small snaps. I will also do this again if I make another of these tops.
I really love this top, but, if, and I am sure I will, make it again, I will cut it out to a size 8 and make the neck slightly less plunging and narrower. For a wearable muslin though, I am pretty happy with the results.