A Homemade Christmas


My daughter and I have been busy in the kitchen this week.  Actually mostly my daughter has been busy.  I was responsible for baking the Christmas cake but she iced it, made the mince tarts and truffles.  This year for the first time, I made my own Christmas mince which I found out was hugely cost effective and tastier than the commercial mince. This particular Christmas cake is called Easy Peasy Christmas cake and is just that.  I have tried several over the years but keep coming back to this one.  We iced it using homemade fondant, a new trick as we usually purchase this as well.  The polar bears are also fondant and the red and green spots are butter cream.  I think my daughter is so good at icing cakes she may well permanently inherit the job!

Easy Peasy Christmas Cake

Mix in a saucepan and heat:
 1 cup water
 250gm butter
 1kg mixed fruit
 1tbs vinegar
 1tbs nutmeg
 1/2 tsp each of ginger cinnamon and mixed spices

Boil then add:
 1 tsp baking soda
 1 tin condensed milk
 2 tsp of any essence

Cool then add:
 2 cups sifted flour
 1 tsp baking powder
 1/8 tsp salt

Mix well

Prepare a cake tin by covering with a sheet of baking paper.  Bake for two hours on 150deg Celsius or until tested with a skewer.

Before placing in the oven, sprinkle cold water oer the top of the cake mixture to stop cracking.  When the cake is cold, prick with a fork and brush over with sherry or whiskey

Ice if desired.  Bon appetite

Definitely no sugar or eggs are needed in this recipe. 

Comments

  1. How clever! Those polar bears are totally adorable! They almost look too cute to eat... almost! We love marzipan, and I put on a really really thick layer, then put on a sugar syrup icing over the top, swirled about with a spatula to make it all rough and "peaky".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can think of an 8 year old boy who would dearly love to get his hands on those polar bears.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts