This is a tale of two tops. Since last summer I have admired these beautiful floaty apron tops on women in the streets. I hadn't actually seen one in a retail store which isn't surprising really since I have been avoiding the malls like the plague since last Septembers earthquake. I spied a rtw one in a local boutique at the end of last summer and like all good dressmakers, went over it with a fine tooth comb to see how it was constructed. When I saw a pattern on Trademe for just this top, that was it, I was making one. I chose a beautiful floaty saturn and made it up. Boy was I disappointed. It didn't meet in the middle at the back and I felt like a sack of spuds tied in the middle. I threw it on my sewing table in disgust. It was gone but not forgotten!
Once my frustration had worn off, a couple of months had gone by and I realised that this fabric was too lovely to waste. I decided that a blousey peasant top would look nice in this fabric for spring. Fortunately, I had bought too much fabric for my previous top so had plenty left over to use for Simplicicy 4589, a pattern that had been bought but not yet used.
I extended the sleeves to make a long sleeve version and added 15cm to the length of the top with the intention of adding and elastic waist. After trying the top on however I liked the look of a tunic style as well so just rescued the belt off the disaster top for a variation.