Yesterday I finished the dress, shown in my previous post. 

This dress was originally inspired by the fantastic suede one in the April Burda magazine and the reason I actually bought the magazine but when I looked a little closer I realised that actually the pattern had too many seams to be made in such a busy fabric.  Enter a pattern clearance at my favourite fabric shop, and hello, Simplicity 4190 practically jumped off the table and begged me to buy it.  Now, this pattern is not without its issues.  The sizing is good but it is really designed for someone without any shape, and that is not me.  I knew the sack look was less than flattering on my sway back so I added some darts at the back which improved the shape dramatically and nipped it in slightly at the waist as well.  At this point I wasn't sure what to do with the sleeves.  My original inspiration was for sleeveless but, I wanted to wear this as a casual spring dress not a summer dress so sleeves are essential.  I whipped onto and browsed some ready to wear dresses.  I found the perfect dress with tab sleeves and knew that this was the direction I wanted to go. 

I am rather pleased with the final result and wasted no time in trying the dress on. 

Please excuse the lilly white legs!  I think I need to invest in some fake tan before I get them out again!


Popular Posts