My trusty Janome broke. Right in the middle of my new dress, the bobbin tension went. Not to worry, I thought. I have my spare machine. My very reliable 1950's Bernina Record. I haven't used it much since I closed my nappy business but I will never part with it. You wouldn't believe it though....the tension had gone on it as well...bummer! So, I had to google sewing machine mechanics. Nothing is where it is supposed to be in this city since the February earthquake. A lot of businesses have been forced to move and a lot to close. I finally found one, around the corner from my favourite fabric shop. It is now being repaired and will be ready in two weeks. Two whole weeks without a working machine. How will I cope. Mum came to the rescue of course and lent me her machine to complete said dress...few!
While waiting for my sewing machine to be repaired, gardening is my second activity of choice. In the photo above I am wearing my latest pair of shorts. They should meet with my son's approval because they have longer legs than the black pair I was wearing the other day. I made these shorts in beige linen. I made a trial pair first in a size 12 in some cotton duck I had and found I needed to go down to a size 10. I also needed to lower the waist at the front by 3.5cm which makes the waistline very similar to the Jalie jeans that I love. I now have these shorts re drafted so I can make them up without all of the pinning and fitting. I will definitely use it again and am quite keen on some of the skirts as well.