Back To Production
Photo Courtesy of Kimberley's
I didn't have a lot of faith in this pattern based on the reviews I had read which were very much mixed. I also had made so many of New Look 6648 which I absolutely love and I knew it would be a hard act to follow. Initially I cut out the longer scooped hem version but after making it up realised I really didn't like it and it hung somewhat like a sack. So, I whipped out the scissors and cut the bottom off....ahh much better. The other change I made to the pattern was the addition of a neck band. One of the criticisms I had read was the size of the neck and I really wasn't fond of the over lock and turn method in the pattern so added a small neck band which proved to be both neater and more stable on my very thin knit.
I really didn't enjoy making this top up. I am not sure if that was because of the cheap fabric I was using or because I wasn't hopeful of a positive outcome, but once it was completed I came to realise that actually I do quite like it. The dolman is sufficiently small, that I can wear a layer over the top when the weather cools down and the sleeves are a practical width at the cuffs. I was trying to decide whether I would make it up again at a later date when I visited Fabric Vision and the lady behind the counter admired it. That was it....there will be a repeat version after all!