Thursday, April 26, 2012

The Devil Shirt


This shirt looks like a simple little shirt that could be whipped up in no time at all.  Well, that is what I thought when I began this project, late one Friday afternoon while my kids were home for the school holidays. 

The fabric is a lovely soft lightly brushed cotton with a small checked print that I bought with this op shop haul that I wrote about here.  When I began cutting the fabric, I realised that the checks on the fabric do not line up and the pattern I have chosen did not help the matter.  I used New Look 6050 which is a semi fitted pattern having darts in both the back and the front.   I made the sleeves a slightly puffed sleeved version, but after sewing the shirt up and fitting it, I decided that I didn't like the look so whipped the sleeves out and re cut them to the original pattern.  I cut a small ruffle on the bias and inserted this under the front facing and also cut a cuff on the bias similar to the Vogue top I made here but after fitting it discovered that the addition of the cuff, made the sleeves too short necessitating the removal and lengthening via a concealed false extension and reattaching of the cuff.  I have to add also, that all of this was happening through the "commercial over locker saga" which necessitated the use of the much maligned domestic over locker that I have a love hate relationship with.

I am really happy with the final result, even if, the production of the said shirt proved trying, B.U.T....and it is a big but....because I had to cut the sleeves out (the over locking of the seam necessitated this), the shirt is now a little snug across my back and I think that the back dart will eventually pull out.  I feel this shirt may well be around for a good time and not a long time, hence the term "devil shirt".

3 comments:

  1. I hope those darts don't give out anytime soon because it's a lovely top, I really like the bias cuffs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks really good. Would look great over a little skirt too. I like how the cuffs have been cut on the bias.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a little gutted about the darts as well as I really like the finished product. The cuffs on the bias are a really good solution to a 3/4 length sleeve shirt and one I will definitely do again. In fact given the success of this shirt, I am tempted to reproduce it almost exactly in a different fabric.

    ReplyDelete