One I Prepared Earlier

Before the untimely demise of my over locker, before the Jalie jacket saga, in fact before the school holidays, I made another dress.  Dresses seem to be my favourite things to make these days.  Unfortunately, they probably rank as the least worn things in my wardrobe, which has to change.  My inspiration for this dress was, again, a photo in a catalogue.  In fact, this photo.....
It is a little hard to see in the photo but the fabric is hounds tooth knit.  My version of the dress, is made using a stable cotton hounds tooth knit also but I have used Butterick 5523 as my pattern.  I cut the pattern to size 10, as usual and the only real change I made was to omit the elastic under the bust.  I felt that as the fabric was already stable and in fact had next to know stretch plus was quite a heavy fabric, I would not gain anything from having the elastic.  In fact, the addition of the elastic may actually leave unsightly gathers where the pleats were. 

The back has a decorative button tab which I rather like.  It reminds me of a coat.

In this photo, I am wearing it with black tights and my new black suede desert booties from Number One Shoes. 

This dress hasn't had it's first outing yet, it is like my other dress designated for winter, waiting patiently in the wardrobe for just the right occasion.  I am not quite ready to put away my summerish gear just yet!


  1. I love your new dress. I have made this pattern as well and just love it. It is really comfy as well.

  2. it looks completely different from your inspiration dress. Very nice. I like the tab at the back too.

  3. Ahh...this is why I call it my inspiration dress...because otherwise it would be a copied dress. I actually like my one better, it is a little more interesting.

  4. Janine, I like your version of this dress as well. Print wise yours and mine are poles fact the only thing the two prints have in common is black and white! Just goes to show how versatile the pattern is!


Post a Comment

Popular Posts