Time To Partay!




I wasn't really in the market for a party dress when I bought this fabric, in fact, I wasn't in the market for fabric at all.  I was taking my son to a swimming lesson a couple of weeks ago and I saw a sign in a building window advertising a fabric bonanza.  The only thing I usually admired about this particular building was the huge empty car park that I could have been using instead of traipsing my son and his gear halfway down the street.  I didn't have time that particular day for a perusal, because, as we all know, these things take time and I was on a tight schedule.  The next day however, was a whole different story.  The building in question housed a fashion house which was forced to move after the earthquake.  They aparently sell all of their roll ends at cost plus GST.   I bought two metres of this lovely crushed silk metal and also a metre and a half of printed Japanese linen, all for the princely sum of $17.  Initially the silk was going to become a top of some sort, but by the time it had reached home it was destined to become  Donna Karan Vogue 1175 dress.  I had really admired the variations I had seen on pattern review and especially this one by Up Sew Late



This pattern had really comprehensive instructions and was simple to put together as long as I followed the instructions.  This was not one of those dresses where you make it up as you go along.  I made two changes to the pattern.  The first was to raise the dress slightly at the shoulders because the neckline was too plunging and the second change was to not attach the skirt to the lining at the hem.  I liked the bubble look but, I am not sure whether it was the design or my fabric, but this made the dress both quite short and also very bubbled at the hem.


This could well now become my new favourite dress.  The fabric is quite delicious to wear and it falls beautifully.  I may have a problem wearing it styled as I have  here very often before the spring but this is such a versatile little number, I am sure I can style it for winter.



Comments

  1. Oh, I love that dress! I've eyed up that pattern several times. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great fabric find - your dress looks lovely and I'm sure you'll think of ways to wear it during the cooler months.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts