Thursday, May 17, 2012

MMM12 - Day Seventeen


The weather today was much nicer than yesterday, a cloudless sunny day with no wind, perfect weather to be outdoors. 

Today I am wearing my new dress.  It was made using a tee shirting weight merino jersey that had been sitting in my stash since last winter.  The colour is a tomato red and it drapes beautifully so lent itself to  Donna Karan Vogue 1179.  I had read on Pattern Review that this particular pattern ran quite large, so I cut out a size 10, grading to a size 12 in the hips.  The arms were meant to be finished with clear elastic but this fabric was quite a stable knit so I felt it didn't require this type of finish and instead just used my cover stitch machine to give a neat finish.  The pattern also required a very deep 10cm hem which I felt looked a little untidy in the pattern photo so I used the cover stitch here again in a much smaller 3cm hem.

I am really happy with the way my dress turned out.  The sizing was spot on and it has made up into a really comfortable casual winter dress.  Would I sew this pattern again?  Probably not, because there is really a limit to how many versions of this type of tunic one person needs but all in all this is a pattern, I would recommend.

2 comments:

  1. My mother has that pattern too, and we were both appalled at the absolutely terrible hem pictured on the envelope! I'm sure your narrower hem is much much better :)
    My mother made it up as a top, with three quarter sleeves

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this red tunic. It looks great on you. Thanks for visiting my blog. I'm enjoying looking through yours. Megan

    ReplyDelete